This is the index to a series of articles I’ve been writing for redgate, published on their AllThingsOracle site, about generating and reading execution plans. I’ve completed a few articles that haven’t yet been published, but I’ll add their URLs when they’re available.
I don’t really know how many parts it’s going to end up as – there’s an awful lot that that you could say about reading execution plans, even when you’re trying to cover just the basics; every time I’ve started writing an episode in the series it’s turned into two episodes. I’ve delivered 10 parts to redgate so far; the active URLs below are the ones that they are currently online.
- Part 1 – Finding plans
- Part 2 – Things to see
- part 3 – “The Rule”
- part 4 – Timing and Precision
- part 5 – First Child variations
- Part 6 – Pushed Subqueries
- Part 7 – Query Blocks and View Operators
- Part 8 – Cost, time, etc. (the predictions)
- Part 9 – Multiplication
- Part 10 – Guesswork
- Part 11 – Actuals (Rowsource execution stats)
- Part 12 – Cardinality Feedback
- Part 13 – SQL Trace and tkprof
- Part 14 – SQL Monitor
Chapter 11 is about to be published, so I’ve popped this catalogue to the top of the stack. Episode 12 is written, but waiting for its final proof read.