The Oracle Database Appliance has been released. It looks like a pretty neat bit of kit for the SMB market. It’s listed in a couple of locations, each page with links to different technical docs, so it’s worth looking at both:
Interesting point’s include:
- It’s a 2 node 126.96.36.199 RAC on Oracle Linux 5.5 implementation.
- Two 6-core Xeons per node.
- 96G Memory per node.
- 12 TB shared disk, but triple-mirrored, so you have 4TB of storage.
- Mirrored “Solid-state disks for redo logs to boost performance.” I can see that point generating some discussion.
- No hardware upgrade/expansion options.
- Pay-as-you-grow licensing available.
For the full lowdown, check the technical docs under the top-level links.
If you like the one-vendor-supplies-all approach, this is kinda neat and a lot less complex than a full blow Exadata system.