I saw World War Z at the cinema last night.
I enjoyed watching this film, but it doesn’t really bring anything new to the table. Let’s break it down:
- It has zombies. Well that’s not new.
- These zombies are fast. OK, but that’s been done before, like in 20 Days Later.
- These zombies scream really loud. Yep. See my previous point.
- It is gritty, rather than having an overly-Hollywood feel. See previous 2 points.
- It’s got a bit of disaster porn in it. Yes, but most zombie films do. This one probably had a higher budget though, which is why it looks less cartoon-like.
- It has Brad Pitt in it. Yes, but it doesn’t have Milla Yovovich in it, or zombie dogs.
- It doesn’t have much blood in it. Well, depending on your stomach, this is either a good thing or a bad thing. It is certainly not a gorefest. The zombies want to bite non-infected humans, but it’s more about making more zombies than ripping humans apart and eating them. I don’t remember any of them saying, “Braaaaiiinsss”, or anything like that.
- It’s a little “sciencey”. Well yeah, but it doesn’t really explore that. It’s handled in much the same lame-ass way I Am Legend did it.
So now I’ve lowered your expectations, I think you are in a position to go and enjoy it.
There are some genuinely tense moments. I found myself clenching my fists on numerous occasions. The swarming zombie scenes are really cool. You’ve seen pretty much all of them in the trailer, but they look great on the big screen. Like all disaster movies, it’s a little depressing at times, but overall I thought it was worth the price of admission*.
* Watching it on a Friday night cost me £6.75. I should probably have waited for Tuesday night and watched it for £3, then it would have been really good value for money.