This forum is currently locked. You can't register or post questions at this time. (read more)

ASM Performance

All posts relating to Oracle database administration.

Moderator: Tim...

sivakumarocp
Advisor

ASM Performance

Postby sivakumarocp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Tim,

If we are keeping our database into normal filesystem, we used to store DATA and INDEX tablespace into different filesystem. To reduce IO contentions on the physical disk.

But in ASM storage we are not following that! We had migrated database from filesystem to ASM (its a OLTP db), before migration we kept index and data tablespace into different filesystem and after migration we kept all tablespace into single diskgroup +DATAFILE.

but still I am wondering why the performance not degraded, when heavy IO's are happening on single diskgroup (+DATAFILE).
Regards
Sivakumar.A
www.sivakumardba.com

Tim...
Site Admin

Re: ASM Performance

Postby Tim... » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi.

There has never really been any science behind the "tables in one tablespace and indexes in another" argument.

If you think of how an index is used, blocks from the index are read. When the correct leaf node is identified, the ROWID from that leaf node is used to access the table block that contains the row. At no point are the index and table being accessed at the same time, so at no point can a single operation cause contention between them.

In a multiuser system, many operation can be accessing the same table or the same index, which would cause contention, but this is not increased or decreased by it's location in a specific tablespace. If you have two very busy objects in the same tablespace, which is on the same physical disk, this may result in contention, but this could be two tables, two indexes or a mix. The point is, you may benefit from separating busy segments, but just splitting tables and indexes is very arbitrary and may not result in performance improvement.

ASM recommend, like many storage vendors, having one large disk group with all your spindles in it. The increased number of spindles results in improved performance, since many disks can work together to provide the information, rather than a single spindle.

Cheers

Tim...
Tim...
Oracle ACE Director
Oracle ACE of the Year 2006 - Oracle Magazine Editors Choice Awards
OakTable Member
OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
OCP Advanced PL/SQL Developer
Oracle Database: SQL Certified Expert
My website: http://www.oracle-base.com
My blog: http://www.oracle-base.com/blog

Return to “Oracle Database Administration”