- State the Oracle version and the operating system you are working with.
- Provide DDL to setup test tables and DML to provide basic data where appropriate. Don't describe the tables and data, give me the actual creation and insert statements.
- Provide the error numbers and text where appropriate. You should look up any error messages in the error messages manual before asking about them. Often the suggested action is all you need.
- When quoting documents, add the relevant links to the question. It's annoying if I have to go searching for documentation you've already found.
- Try not to assume prior knowledge of your task. You need to explain clearly what you want or I won't be able to help.
- Be patient. This is a free service, so don't abuse it. If I'm asking lots of questions, it means your original question was not clear. If you want a quick answer, ask a clear question.
You can read more about why I get so frustrated with lazy questions here:
http://www.oracle-base.com/blog/2012/02 ... -tim-hall/
Note: If you problem relates to ORA-00600 or ORA-07445 errors, you will get the following answer from me:
ORA-00600 and ORA-07445 errors are internal errors and must be passed on to Oracle Support (http://support.oracle.com).
You may also get some benefit from using the ORA-00600/07445 lookup screen on My Oracle Support:
https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/art ... d=153788.1
Above all, remember to read the manuals!