This forum is currently locked. You can't register or post questions at this time. (read more)

Choosing Developer tools

All posts relating to Oracle PL/SQL development.

Moderator: Tim...

Choosing Developer tools

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:09 pm

This site shows 5 developer tool prgrams. How does one choose among them? They all seem to have multiple features and bits and pieces and all use different names for these features. Can't tell apples-to-apples at all.

And also, why not just take the 'easy' way out and use Oracle's tools? But even there it's impossible to compare to these others like Toad. Oracle isn't clear except to be java environment.

Any help for me to understand...I'm new getting into this all.

Tim...
Site Admin

RE: Choosing Developer tools

Postby Tim... » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:09 pm

I would suggest getting a free trial of as many products as you can and then see what suits you. Most of the companies provide free trials. If you're primarily interested in PL/SQL development then you could consider something like TOAD. It's a pretty good allround package. If you are currently using Oracle Developer then you already have procedure builder so you may want to stick with that then you wont have to spend any extra money.

I've tried a number of these tools and I think they're all pretty much the same. You just need to find the one you are most comfortable with.

I know it's a bit old fashioned but I still do quite alot of PL/SQL work in a text editor and SQL*Plus.

Cheers

Tim...
Tim...
Oracle ACE Director
Oracle ACE of the Year 2006 - Oracle Magazine Editors Choice Awards
OakTable Member
OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
OCP Advanced PL/SQL Developer
Oracle Database: SQL Certified Expert
My website: http://www.oracle-base.com
My blog: http://www.oracle-base.com/blog

Return to “Oracle SQL and PL/SQL Development”