There are benefits to both tracks. Here are some things you should consider:
- If you are currently working with 8i alot then the 8i OCP track will be more in line with your currentl needs.
- Doing the 8i track means you don't have to do the Oracle University course which is a requirement of the 9i track.
- If you are 8i certified you can upgrade to 9i with a single exam and no need for the OU course.
- The 8i track is made up of 5 exams. Giving a total of 6 exams to get certified in 9i via this route.
- Every month the usage of 8i is decreasing so it's less of a requirement for jobs.
- Only 4 exams to get certified.
- It's going to be around for some time.
- There is a requirement to do an Oracle University course to get the OCP. Depending on the course you pick and your country this can cost between Â£700-Â£2000.
- If you work alot with 8i, or are looking for jobs where they still use 8i alot then the lack of 8i OCP may affect you.
There is no right or wrong answer. The choice depends on your circumstances and your cashflow.