It’s been just over a week since I moved my website over to “the cloud”. Well, an EC2 virtual machine on Amazon Web Services, so it’s Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), not really what I consider the cloud. 🙂
Overall I’m really happy with the way it’s gone so far. As I mentioned in a previous post, I’ve gone for a VM that is significantly lower spec than the dedicated server I had before. I’ve been keeping an eye on it over the last week and I think I could probably get away with a smaller instance still. The T2 instances have burstable CPU, so you get a basic level of performance plus some extra credits every hour. If you need a little extra CPU, you can use up your credits. I’ll probably leave the VM running for another week before deciding if I should try dropping the spec further.
So far the price looks comparable to the old dedicated server, which sounds OK, but you have to remember:
It’s a much lower spec box (memory, CPU, disk capacity), so really it’s more expensive.
I’m still paying the on-demand price, not the reserved instance price, so it’s more expensive at the moment, compared to what it will be when I’ve made my final decision.
What I really like about the move is the additional flexibility I have now. I’ve spent years using virtualization at home and at work, but I’ve never had that flexibility with my website.
With my recent website move I thought I better check for broken links, in case I had screwed anything up during the transfer. The last few times I’ve done this I’ve used SiteCrawl, which seems to do a decent job.
After the scan had finished I looked through the results and had a couple of broken internal links and 171 broken external links. Can you guess where the vast majority of the broken external links were pointing to? Yes, it was Oracle documentation. A quick search on my blog reveals about six rants I’ve posted about this over the years. There have been many more incidents of course.
Fixing this stuff is very time consuming and boring. What’s worse, it robs me of time I could spend on creating new content.
I’m guessing most content producers don’t go back and check for broken links. Oracle certainly don’t because I see them all the time in whitepapers, articles and forum entries. The result of this is a sea of helpful content produced by the community that are littered with broken links to Oracle content. It lowers the value of the community content, through no fault of the content producer.
Oracle. Please stop doing this! You are constantly devaluing the content produced by us in the community!