Just before Christmas I wrote a post about upgrading our development and test APEX installations to the new 5.1 release. We’ve now got it in all our production environments too. 🙂
As far as I’m aware we only had a single issue, which was not directly related to APEX and was actually my fault. I forgot to add the APEX_050100 user to an ACL, so some non-APEX code that was doing web service callouts using the APEX_WEB_SERVICE package stopped working. Once that was added to the ACL all was good.
As always I must stress our company is not a massive user of APEX and most of our applications are fairly vanilla APEX against 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 databases, so I’m not suggesting your experience will be the same as ours. That said, the move from APEX 5.0.4 to APEX 5.1 was really painless for us.
APEX 5.1 was released for download a few days ago. I tried doing an upgrade against an installation on a VM at home and it worked fine, which was hardly surprising. 🙂
Officially I’m on holiday, but I figured I would upgrade all our Dev/Test installations while everything is quiet. Major version upgrades, changes in either of the first two numbers, require a full installation. There was no major difference between this and what I was doing for the 5.0 installations, so I just edited the existing article and altered the title.
Since all the apps at work use AD authentication, I tested that out against 5.1 too and it worked fine.
So it was really smooth sailing.
As I’ve mentioned previously, we’re a small scale user of APEX, so it’s relatively easy for me to upgrade and test our systems.
We’ll kick the tyres some more in the new year, then upgrade the live systems pretty soon.
VirtualBox 5.1 has been released!
Downloads and changelog in the usual places.
I’ve only done the installation on my Windows 7 desktop so far. It seems to be working fine at the moment. I’ll do the Mac and Linux ones when I get home tonight.
Update: Worked fine on “El Crapitan” too. Still haven’t tried a Linux host.