Mehran said...Easy Install. Both startup & custom database. Eventhough it asks for 1.4G swap space and I had only 1+G
on P4 2.8Ghz, 1G Ram
Tim... said...Yes, a number of the pre-requisites can be ignored if you are just playing with the technology.
Marius Andreiana said...Instead of two "ln -s ..." just do
chkconfig --add dbora
Gaby said...Your site is realy very interesting!
email@example.com said...Dear Tim:
Thank u 4 your article. It workx OK!!!
I have two little observations:
1) The Oracle SID on installation must be consistent on ./runistaller, /etc/oratab, .bash_profile and $ORA_HOME/dbs/init$SID.
2) Oracle 10 g ver 10.2.0.1.0 compressed file 10201_database_Unix32.zip when uncompressed creates a directory named. "database" not "Disk1" anymore.
Thank You again, Tim
I don't understand your first point. The ORACLE_SID in the article is consistently TSH1. Not sure what you mean here.
I think you may be confused on your second point also. The file name you quote is not the one I used for the installation. I used 10201_database_linux32.zip, which is the linux download from OTN. When unzipped, this produces the "db/Disk1" directory, as quoted in the article. Not a "database" directory.
Michael B said...Hi, thanks a lot for this help!
Exactly on the detail level I needed.
Worked 100% fine for me.
Brian .. said...Hi, thanks very helpful.
A few comments, from the current 10g R2 download
1. There is a bug in the dbstart script which you have to fix after install. It refers to /ade/vikrkuma_new/oracle which you must change to your ORACLE_HOME.
2. The current dowload 10201_database_linux32.zip does in fact create a "database" directory.
# unzip -l 10201_database_linux32.zip | head
Length Date Time Name
-------- ---- ---- ----
0 07-02-05 12:09 database/
Tim... said...I'll check this out, but the version of the zip file I used when I wrote this document unzipped to produce a directory called ""db/Disk1", so the article was correct at this time.
Art said...Needed Oracle AS install on FC4, but this helps.
Vick said...* Great documentation.
* Dont overthink the steps. Just follow it with your eyes closed. I can say this because I tried to overthink a couple steps and got lost... and had to do a rollback ;)
* I am building my own site with the installation and further admin steps at my college's webspace.
**** Thanx Tim ****
remi collet said...Thanks for this very-good documentation.
For information : on FC4 with full updates, netca and dbca doesn't work (in the installation process) if the compat-libf2c-32 is not present.
It should be added to the list.
I found the solution in the FC5 draft doc.
Hopes that help someone,
madani said said...thanks very helpfull for linux newbie
i m unable to unzip 10201_database_linux32.zip this file can u help me with exact commands,how to unzip this one..
If that doesn't work you have something wrong with your zip file.
DO NOT ask technical questions here! They will be deleted!
These comments should relate to the contents of a specific article. Constructive criticism is good. Advertising and offensive comments are bad and will be deleted!