A number of folks on the tour have built up so many Hilton Honours points they get access to the executive lounge, so I was signed in as a scummy guest and I got breakfast for free.
At about 09:00 we walked across to the AROUG event, which had the following order of events.
- The day started with an introduction to OTN and the ACE program by Pablo Ciccarello.
- I was up next with my “Pluggable Databases : What they will break and why you should use them anyway!” talk. I had a full room and the response to it was really good. I got some good questions at the end and amazingly, I managed to finish on time.
- Then came Debra Lilley with “PaaS4SaaS”.
- Next up was “Controlling Execution Plans (without touching the code)” by Kerry Osborne. This was a double session, split by lunch.
- After that was Mike Dietrich with his “How Oracle Single/Multitenant will change a DBA’s life” talk.
- I closed the day with “It’s raining data! Oracle Databases in the Cloud’. Once again, a busy room and some good interaction with the audience. I’m not sure how many people feel ready for a move to the cloud, but the level of interest is definitely high.
I got really tired in the middle of the day. At one point I sat in a big chair and started to nod off, so I went out and got a giant cup of coffee, which perked me up.
There were a couple of the other speakers I was interested in seeing, but they weren’t presenting in English, so no luck there.
After the event we walked back to the hotel and I was coerced into drinking alcohol. Well actually, I just fancied it. Due to the fact I rarely drink, I felt very drunk very quickly. My alcohol tolerance is truly pathetic.
From the bar we wandered over to meet the other speakers and organisers at a barbecue restaurant. You might think that wasn’t the best place for a vegetarian to be, but you would be wrong. There was loads of good stuff I could eat, plus excellent company!
After far too much food, we headed back through the rain to the hotel and then to bed.
This really concluded the AROUG event for me. All my sessions were on day 1, so I get day 2 to do a bit of sightseeing.
I’d like to send out a big thank you to everyone who came to the event, including the attendees and the speakers. Also, big thanks to the organisers at AROUG and the ACE Program, who made this possible for me.