I’ve just done a quick survey of cloud storage pricing for some of the popular providers. Times have certainly changed since I last looked at this. Depending on what you are looking for, each service has its own sweet spot, so there isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer. All the prices are in GBP for a whole year based on today’s exchange rate and rounded up to the nearest pound. Check the pricing in your region, as this stuff varies, as does service availability by region. 🙂
Provider Free 100G 1TB 10TB Unlimited Google Drive 15G £16 £78 MS One Drive 15G £24 £80* DropBox 2G £79 Box 10G £84 £132 Amazon Cloud Drive 5G £32 £325 Hubic** 25G £ 9 £87
* Price based on buying an Office 365 license for a whole year, which comes with 1TB space.
** Thanks to Eric Grancher for pointing out this service.
Things of note.
- If you just want a straight 1TB of space, then Google Drive comes out ahead.
- If you are just paying for space, One Drive is way more expensive than Google Drive, but the Office 365 deal makes it look appealing.
- If you think you need more than 1TB, then Box looks very interesting! Of course, you need to check what they mean by “unlimited”. 🙂
- The Hubic prices are amazing! For the 10TB service your data is stored in 3 data centres in France.
- Microsoft are rolling out unlimited storage for some US customers, but this is not available for me, so I’ve not included it.
As with everything, you have to check the T&Cs for fair use policies, maximum file sizes, bandwidth throttling, data jurisdiction etc.
Update: Someone tweeted this Top 5 comparison.