I’m back home from Oracle OpenWorld 2015. My overall feeling for this year was evolution, not revolution. We got newer versions of some products, like APEX, WebLogic, SOA Suite and Oracle Forms, just before the conference. We got previews of new versions of products, like Oracle Database 12cR2 during the conference, which we might get next year.
Of course, there was a heavy emphasis on cloud, but the difference between this year and previous years was some of the product are now generally available (GA), so it’s possible to trial or buy them. In previous years, you could only use some of the cloud products if you were “special”.
Not surprisingly, Oracle are trying to ease the migration from on premise to cloud with hybrid options, like their private cloud offering. I expect this is pretty much the way OpenWorld will be for the next few years until the cloud vision is complete, or something else comes along.
Many thanks to the Oracle ACE Program for getting me across to San Francisco again. Thanks for the invites to the EMEA group presentation and the Oracle SQL Panel session. Both were good fun. Also, a big thanks to everyone who took the time to speak with me during the week. It is this aspect of any conference that I enjoy the most.
Here is a list of posts during the trip.
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : The Journey Begins
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : ACE Director Briefing – Day 1
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : ACE Director Briefing – Day 2
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : ACE Director Briefing : Final Thoughts
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : Day Off
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : User Group Sunday
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : Monday
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : Tuesday
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : Wednesday
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : Thursday
- Oracle OpenWorld 2015 : The Journey Home
Update: You can see a random video of some footage from OOW15 here.