Oracle REST Data Services (ORDS) 18.4

It’s hardly news, as Oracle REST Data Services (ORDS) 18.4 has been out for a while, but I thought I would mention a couple of things related to it.

First off, we’ve upgraded (almost) all of our ORDS installations to 18.4 at work. I say almost because we’ve got a couple of 11.2 databases that don’t work consistently with anything newer that ORDS 3.0.12, so they aren’t being touched until we’ve upgraded the databases. This is how I typically do the upgrades.

Regarding my GitHub stuff.

  • Vagrant : My 18c, APEX, ORDS and Tomcat installation uses ORDS 18.4 and Java 11.0.2.
  • Docker : My ORDS build has been upgraded to 18.4 and Java 11.0.2.

We’ve not had any drama related to this. πŸ™‚

Cheers

Tim…

Author: Tim...

DBA, Developer, Author, Trainer.

3 thoughts on “Oracle REST Data Services (ORDS) 18.4”

  1. Hello Tim,

    A bit of an off-topic question perhaps, but could you elaborate on “a couple of 11.2 databases that don’t work consistently with anything newer that ORDS 3.0.12”? What kind of issues do you experience?

    The reason I ask is that I personally either haven’t experienced anything like that or haven’t exprienced any issues that we have attributed to this combination (Database 11.2 + ORDS >3.0.12).
    Since I feel that maybe we lack a bit of experience in this matter *and* we want to make sure that customers with this combination of database+ORDS get the best possible experience using our APEX application, I’m always keeping my eyes open for new information, such as in your blog post. πŸ™‚

    Thanks,
    Arno

  2. Arno: Sure.

    From ORDS 17.4 onward a new version of the Oracle Client JAR files were used by ORDS. What we found was we were getting regular disconnections when connecting to Oracle 11.2. The web services were working, but unstable. It took a while to figure it out, but I had a couple of back-and-forth interactions with the ORDS guys and they suggested downgrading until stability returned. It wasn’t until I got back to 3.0.12 it became stable. That’s when they were able to identify the issue.

    I think our issue may have been caused by the fact we use “Native Network Encryption” for all databases. If you are not using this feature, you may get a better experience with newer versions of ORDS against old databases.

    If you are not seeing this issue, then definitely stick to the latest verisons of ORDS. πŸ™‚

    Cheers

    Tim…

  3. Thanks a bunch for the clarification.

    I’m pretty sure that we don’t use “Native Network Encryption” (or at least, not that I’m aware of). But if this feature ever shows up, when I’m diagnosing possible problems with ORDS, I’ll be prepared. πŸ‘

    Regards,
    Arno

Comments are closed.