I just got back from watching
The Power Rangers Pacific Rim. What a complete pile of crap! How on earth did that get a 7.9 rating on IMDB? How did it get 71% on Rotten Tomatoes? Am I really that disconnected from the rest of humanity?
I know I’m not target audience, having not had a lobotomy recently, but here are a few quotes I overheard from other people leaving as I did:
- “Don’t ever invite me to a film like that again”
- “How cheesy was that?”
- “That’s two hours of my life I can never get back!”
I went in with such low expectations. I knew it was going to be crap, but I didn’t realise how crap. Here are some random thoughts:
- Acting : Reviews are saying the acting was magnificent. Really? I though it was pretty lame. Just a non-event.
- Plot : You know the last scene in every episode of The Power Rangers, where the monster grows massive and the Power Rangers shout, “It’s morphin’ time!” and group together to make Super Hemorrhoid Zoid? They kind-of made that one scene into a 2 hour film. At least the reviews agree it is devoid of plot. What story it did have felt like a total Independent Day rip-off, and boy did I hate that film!
- Disaster Porn : Yes, there is lots of it, but I don’t really feel it worked well. It was all a bit soulless. It’s not like Cloverfield, where I actually cared about what was happening. This was just dirge. Just standard Michael Bay style crap.
Thank heavens I only paid £3.00 to see it!
PS. Losing my cinema mojo fast…